- GlimIbose-M 2 Tablet PR belongs to a category of medicines known as anti-diabetic drugs. It is a combination of two medicines used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. It helps control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
- GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR should be taken with food. Take it regularly at the same time each day to get the most benefit. Your doctor will decide what dose is best for you and this may change from time to time according to how it is working according to your blood sugar levels.
- Keep taking this medicine, even if you feel well or your blood sugar levels are controlled. If you stop it without consulting your doctor, your blood sugar levels could rise and put you at risk of kidney damage, blindness, nerve problems and loss of limbs. Remember that it is only part of a treatment program that should also include a healthy diet, regular exercise, and weight reduction as advised by your doctor. Your lifestyle plays a big part in controlling diabetes.
- The most common side effect of GlimIbose -M 2 Tablet PR is low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia). Make sure you recognize the signs of having low blood glucose levels, such as sweating, dizziness, headache, and shaking and know how to deal with it. To prevent this, it's important to have regular meals and always carry a fast-acting source of glucose such as sugary food or fruit juice with you. Drinking alcohol can also increase your risk of low blood sugar levels and should be avoided. Other side effects that may be seen on taking this medicine include taste changes, nausea, diarrhoea, stomach pain, headache and upper respiratory tract infection. Some people may find that they put on weight with this medicine.
- You should not take it if you have type 1 diabetes mellitus, if you have diabetic ketoacidosis (high levels of acid in your blood), or if you have severe kidney or liver disease. Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor if you have ever had heart disease. It may not be suitable. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should also consult their doctor before taking it. Your blood sugar levels should be checked regularly and your doctor may also advise blood tests to monitor your blood cell counts and liver function.
USES OF GLIMIBOSE-M2 TABLET PR
Type 2 diabetes mellitus
SIDE EFFECTS OF GLIMIBOSE-M2 TABLET PR
Most side effects do not require any medical attention and disappear as your body adjusts to the medicine. Consult your doctor if they persist or if you’re worried about them
Common side effects of GlimIbose –M2
- Hypoglycemia (low blood glucose level)
- Taste change
- Stomach pain
- Upper respiratory tract infection
HOW TO COPE WITH SIDE EFFECTS?
The occurrence of side effects varies from person to person. The following are a few ways of dealing with some of the common side effects. However, consult your doctor if these persist.
Coping with Taste change
Keep your mouth clean. Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with saltwater or mouthwash after each snack or meal. Use plastic or glass utensils if the food tastes like metal. Avoid very hot or very cold foods. Chewing mints or gums may also help in improving the taste. Increase your fluid intake and choose foods that have strong flavors. Try adding garlic, lemon juice, herbs, spices and pickles or chutneys. Avoid cigarette smoking.
HOW TO USE GLIMIBOSE-M2 TABLET PR
Use it as advised by your doctor or check the label for directions before use. GlimIbose -M 2 Tablet PR is to be taken with food.
HOW GLIMIBOSE-M2 TABLET PR WORKS
GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR is a combination of two antidiabetic medicines: Glimepiride and Metformin. Glimepiride is a sulfonylurea which works by increasing the amount of insulin released by the pancreas in order to lower the blood glucose. Metformin is a biguanide which works by lowering glucose production in the liver, delaying glucose absorption from intestines and increasing the body's sensitivity to insulin.
It is unsafe to consume alcohol with GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR.
GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Although there are limited studies in humans, animal studies have shown harmful effects on the developing baby. Your doctor will weigh the benefits and any potential risks before prescribing it to you. Please consult your doctor.
GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR is probably safe to use during breastfeeding. Limited human data suggests that the drug does not represent any significant risk to the baby.
Your ability to drive may be affected if your blood sugar is too low or too high. Do not drive if these symptoms occur.
- GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR may be needed. Please consult your doctor.
- Use of GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR is, however, not recommended in patients with severe kidney disease. Regular monitoring of kidney function test is advisable while you are taking this medicine.
- GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR should be used with caution in patients with liver disease. Dose adjustment of GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR may be needed. Please consult your doctor.
- GlimIbose –M2 Tablet PR is generally started with low dose in patients with mild to moderate liver disease and its use is not recommended in patients with severe liver disease.